Linden High School student officers announce plans for a virtual graduation, cap-and-gown event, goodie bags, and much more to celebrate the Class of 2020. Watch the video below for the full announcement.
The Linden High School virtual graduation ceremony will be on Tuesday, June 16, at 6 p.m. It will air on the district’s Facebook and YouTube channels and mirror the traditional graduation with speeches, award recognition, and the recitation of names accompanied by senior photos.
Students and staff understand that many families are suffering in unique ways. Some have lost loved ones, some are struggling with illness. Through this virtual graduation, all students will be able to gather with their families and commemorate the moment.
Students are encourage to watch the virtual graduation as a class, sharing the special moment with their families. At the conclusion of the virtual ceremony, seniors are encouraged to go outside, toss their cap and record it. Students and families are invited to post videos and photos to social media using the hashtag #LHS2020Grads so that everyone can share these special moments together.
– There will be a special distribution event in early June where students will get caps and gowns, and much more. Students and families will get an email, and details will be posted on social media, about dates and times. There will be a schedule based on last names.
When students come for caps and gowns, they will drive in through the front driveway at LHS. A staff member will put a graduation goodie bag in the trunk of their car. Each bag will include a cap and gown, compliments of the PTA; a Class of 2020 lawn sign; a T-shirt compliments of the police, fire, and teachers unions; a tote bag and mask from the Mayor’s Youth Commission; and a diploma cover. Also, every senior will receive a free yearbook compliments of the Board of Education, to allow every graduate to remember this incredible year and their time at LHS for years to come. Any senior who already paid for a yearbook will receive a refund from Jostens.
– Distribution day is meant to be special day filled with excitement and school spirit. The front of LHS will be adorned with banners commemorating the class of 2020, senior names will be scrolling on the electronic sign in front of LHS, and students are invited to decorate their cars. They are also encouraged to decorate their lawn signs like they would their cap on graduation day, and to decorate their home to proudly show the community that they are members of the historic Class of 2020.
Students will be able to send in photos of themselves in their cap and gown or next to decorations to be included in the virtual graduation video. The community will also be encouraged to support the class by putting up ribbons, posting signs, and decorating homes and businesses.
– The Linden Mayor’s Youth Commission will be sponsoring a Class of 2020 celebration at Linden Airport in the days following graduation. This celebration is in place of the annual graduation Bash.
– Diplomas will be mailed to students’ homes shortly after graduation.
– Plans are being explored for a possible reunion at next year’s Homecoming game in the fall.
– Class advisers and administrators are working with graphic design students on a mural of the senior class to be displayed at LHS for years to come.